- Verify all these steps on someone else's computer
- Add more detail about entering account credentials?
The following steps are based on the official instructions found here. We've streamlined the steps a little bit so you can just read our version.
- Create a Genymotion account by filling out this form.
- Download the Genymotion binary from this page.
- Install Genymotion by running the binary.
- Start up Genymotion and enter your account credentials.
- Click on the
Addbutton to add an Android Virtual Device.
- On the
Android versiondropdown, choose "5.#.0" or whatever is the latest version of Android.
- From the
Available virtual deviceslist, select "Google Nexus 5". Click the
Nextbutton a couple times to get through the installation wizard, then click
- Verify that "Google Nexus 5" appears under the
Your virtual deviceslist.
- Start the Android Virtual Device by double-clicking on it.
- Download MIT AI2 Companion APK file to your computer.
- Install the MIT AI2 Companion by dragging its APK file into the window of the running Android Virtual Device.
- Now you need to install App Inventor Setup on your computer. Go to this page and download the correct binary for your operating system.
- Install App Inventor Setup by running the binary you downloaded.
- Visit http://appinventor.mit.edu/test/. If everything has been properly installed, then you should see both these messages:
- YES, aiStarter 2.3 is running!
- YES, your phone is connected via USB!
Whew, that was a lot of work, but congratulations on finally getting through it! Now you're ready to start creating your first mobile app.